Saturday, December 5, 2009

Potluck

Wow!! I had a really nice get-together with 10 people tonight. I cooked a lot, prepared a lot of nice looking and tasting dishes, and it was wonderful.

I went to bed at 8:30am (Saturday morning). I was reading the 4th book of the Twilight series. It has captivated me so much. Their love is so much like mine. My love is unquestioning and all giving, and this book, the love between the main characters... wow!! I just can't stop reading it.

I woke up 3 hours later at 11:30 am because I had to clean my apartment and prepare the food for the people who'd be coming over.

I moved the mattress into my living room, I made eggplant salad, egg salad, 2 platters of different salamis and cheeses, a big bowl of mixed salad (all kinds of lettuce), veggie dip with red peppers, yellow peppers, broccoli, carrots and ranch dressing and a roast chicken. I was going to make a green coconut curry but I just didn't have enough time.

People brought other delicious things... lasagna, Bangladeshi chicken curry, macaroni and cheese, brownies, daal, sooo many good things.

I've got leftovers to last me the rest of the week.

It's 11:05 pm now, and everyone has left. It's time to get back to my book.

I haven't been so into a book since I read "A general theory of love". It felt like that book was written just for me. I connected with it immediately, the way it presented things, so rational and logical, I could understand everything so clearly. I've tried to read a few books after that but I just could not. That book had such a profound impact on me that everything else I read made it seem just fake and not important. Then I came across this book... first Twilight, then New Moon, then Eclipse, and now, the last one, New Moon. I just haven't been able to stop reading these books.

I'm glad I've found something that has touched me so deeply, that I've been able to connect with so deeply. I wish the series would be longer... I've reached page 233 of 481, and I'm sure I'll finish it tonight... there's no point in reading it again because I already know the whole story, but maybe I'll read it again just to feel close to the ideas, the love that they share. It's a love so passionate, so ultimate that without it there would be no point to living.

You don't see this kind of love in popular media and culture anymore. Songs are meaningless, vain and superficial. Same goes for movies or other representations of reality. It's nice to see that such values are still held somewhere. That such a love can still be dreamed about, thought of as possible.

I think I understand more now.

How could you not want this? How could you not strive for this? How could anyone settle for anything less?

No comments: